across from Holdridge's, was ordered to close Wednesday after the State Department of Public Health reported the presence of E. coli found in water samples taken from the restaurant's well water.
E. coli is the name of a family of bacteria, some strands are harmless to humans but others can make people sick.
According to the Centers for Disease Control website, "Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria normally live in the intestines of people and animals. Most E. coli are harmless and actually are an important part of a healthy human intestinal tract. However, some E. coli are pathogenic, meaning they can cause illness, either diarrhea or illness outside of the intestinal tract. The types of E. coli that can cause diarrhea can be transmitted through contaminated water or food, or through contact with animals or persons."
Ledge Light did not indicate which strand(s) was found in the restaurant's water. The public health authority notified owner Qi Zhong Guo of the problem and said "no water, or ice prepared from the water from this establishment is to be consumed until authorized by the LLHD." And, continues with, "Any food stuffs washed or prepared using the water are to be disposed of, or held for evaluation, pending resolution of this condition."
The restaurant will be closed until the Connecticut Department of Public Health and Ledge Light authorize it to re-open.