As of 5 a.m., the National Hurricane Center has Irene as a weak Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph. The storm is currently about 15 miles south-southeast of Atlantic City and moving north-northeast at 18 miles per hour.
Here are the latest numbers from Irene across the area as of 4 a.m.
Peak Wind Gusts/Rainfall Totals
- Danbury, CT - 36 mph, 2.95 in
- Bridgeport, CT - 51 mph, 1.71 in
- Meridan, CT - 41 mph, 2.37 in
- Groton, CT – 39 mph, 0.69 in
- White Plains, NY – 44 mph, 3.1 in
- JFK Airport, NY – 59mph, 4.01 in
The center of circulation is still well off to the south and west and it’s the winds right around the eye which may be the most devastating. By mid-morning these winds will make it to our area.
Please stay indoors and be safe as this is a very dangerous situation.