You might want to stock up on firewood and crack open the nice new winter clothes you may have received for Christmas because this weekend is forecast to be wet and cold and then just really cold.
The National Weather Service posted a “hazardous weather outlook” for New London County and forecasts a 90 percent chance of snow on Saturday and a 70 percent chance of snow Saturday night. Snow accumulation has been said to be anywhere from 2- to 6-inches Saturday and the temperatures will remain low enough for it to actually stick around this time.
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will be cloudy and the nighttime lows are going to make you think twice about going out!
And, if you’re travelling over the New Year’s holiday, “the shoreline could receive a wintry mix, but the storm will turn to snow. Parts of eastern Connecticut, including parts of Windham and Tolland counties, and parts of upper New London County, could get more snow, according to NBC Connecticut meteorologist Bob Maxon.”
So sit tight for one last gasp of winter weather in 2012 and then there’s a very cold start to the new year, here’s is the weekend forecast:
- Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Saturday Snow, mainly after 9am. High near 38. Calm wind becoming northeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 24. North wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Sunday A slight chance of snow showers before 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 34. Northwest wind 13 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 11 to 15 mph.
- Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
- New Year's Day Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.
- Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.
- Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.
- Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 13.
- Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 28.
- Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.