Ledyard Police Officer Dan Gagnon and his partner Ringo will appear live on Fox CT Morning News this morning sometime between 9-10 a.m. to demonstrate Ringo’s obedience skills and what he does as member of the police force.
Their appearance is in conjunction with the Mystic Aquarium’s Dog Days of Summer program which runs every Monday in August. Aquarium trainers, police officers and professional dog trainers deliver special training demonstrations throughout the day to exhibit their skills and the trusting relationships they form with animals.
Gagnon said his demonstrations highlight Ringo's unique skills.
"Most dogs have great noses but Ringo is unique in the fact that he not only possesses a nose for sniffing out illegal narcotics and tracking lost, missing or wanted persons, he also has the bravery, apptitude and intelligence to work as a police officer," he said.
Gagnon said Ringo has been on TV before for his police work but has yet to be the the main attraction. Gagnon said Ringo's a natural on camera and will not be camera shy.
"I gave him a big pep talk so he shouldn't be nervous," said Gagnon.
As part of the aquarium program, and the program also includes aquarium trainers who will present special training demonstrations with fish and invertebrates, Steller sea lions and African penguins. There are also four California sea lion shows throughout the day that showcase the animals’ five senses. Trainers from My Dog’s Place, a dog training facility in Mystic will present obedience and search and rescue demonstrations.
Mondays in August (6, 13, 20, 27), 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- 10:30 a.m. California sea lion show
- 10:30 a.m. Fish and invertebrate training demonstration (Aug. 6 & 20 only)
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Dog-shaped cookie decorating
- 11:30 a.m. My Dog’s Place obedience demonstration
- 12:30 p.m. California sea lion show
- 12:45 p.m. Ledyard Police Department K-9 Unit demonstration
- 1 p.m. Fish and invertebrate training demonstration (Aug. 13 & 27 only)
- 1:30 p.m. Steller sea lion training presentation
- 1:30 p.m. Fish and invertebrate training demonstration (Aug. 6 & 20 only)
- 2 p.m. California sea lion show
- 2 p.m. Fish and invertebrate training demonstration (Aug. 13 & 27 only)
- 2:30 p.m. African penguin training demonstration
- 4:30 p.m. California sea lion show
The demonstrations are included with aquarium admission. General admission prices are $29 for adults, $26 for 60+ seniors, $21 for children ages 3 to 17, and children ages 2 and under are free.
Guests are offered $4 off adult general admission and $3 off child general admission when they donate food or toys for cats and dogs to benefit Dog Days Adoption Events, Inc. in Essex, Conn., a nonprofit that helps communities plan adoption events for shelter dogs. Guests are encouraged to visit mysticaquarium.org to see a list of needed items.